Let's Get It

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Friday, February 8, 2013

I stand for positive self-image at all sizes...


I saw this posted on Facebook not too long ago and I must say that I totally agree with what it says. I later learned that this picture is from a series of posters created by Marilyn Wann. The poster stems from a campaign started in response to the "fat-shaming" ads that are posted in Georgia. You can see those ads on the blog: Fat Girl Posing (the author's name is Heather). I have seen the ads shaming kids for being fat posted on billboards throughout Atlanta and I do not agree with the way the state of Georgia is trying to raise awareness about childhood obesity. I believe that, no matter what some one's size is or what they look like, one should ALWAYS have a positive self-image and not be ashamed of who you are. Having confidence in yourself is the most important factor when it comes to being successful. Without that self confidence, it is hard to excel at much of anything. In today's society, individuals are ridiculed and judged for not being at what some consider the "ideal" weight. This is something that I know from a firsthand experience. I will admit that it is funny to me that the skinny girls who made it a priority to point out my weight when we were in school are now just as big as I am, if not bigger. That is beyond amusing to me. Maybe I am wrong for being amused by such things, but I would like to welcome them to the fat girls club. ;) I will digress to my original point... Size does not determine one's worth, nor does size exemplify the wonderful characteristic that an individual may possess.  When will people wake up and see that the young lady in the picture may not look like what some of society thinks she should look like, but why do her looks matter? Why does her size matter? If she is happy with the way she looks, let her be!
If you wake up everyday and feel that you are just the way you want to be, whether that be fat or skinny, then You Rock! and no one has the right to tell you otherwise. I am far from skinny mini, and I am not, by any means, ashamed of who I am. My decision to lose weight has nothing to do with how I feel about my body or for that matter, how others feel about my body. I am on a mission to lose at least 87 pounds, but not because I do not feel pretty as I am, but because I want to. I have my own reasons for wanting to drop the weight, admittedly mostly for vanity reasons, but also for health reasons. Whether someone chooses to lose weight or remain curvaceous, I support the decision wholeheartedly. A person's weight is just a number, nothing more, and the sooner others are able to realize that, the better our society will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment